3. Childcare Payments

3. Child Care Payments

The Australian Government has two payments to assist families with the cost of child care – the Child Care Benefit (CCB) and the Child Care Rebate (CCR). CCB/CCR payments will be dependant on a child’s immunisation status. Please download the  No Jab No Pay Factsheet for more information.

Please download the 2017-18 Childcare Assistance Factsheet to learn more.

**PLEASE NOTE** – As of July 2018 there will be a new Child Care Package. Please download The New Child Care Package Brochure to learn more. 

The Department of Education and Training have recently updated their website with detailed information on the new child care package. For more information visit education.gov.au/transitioning-new-child-care-package. A Facebook page has also been launched, Like or follow the page at Facebook.com/AusGovEducation.

Subsidy estimator

Under the new package, the amount of subsidy paid by the Government to help cover a family’s child care fees will change for many people.

It’s important that families know about the changes now so they can make informed decisions about their future. The easiest way for families to work out how much subsidy they may be eligible for is through the ‘Family Child Care Subsidy Estimator’ located at www.education.gov.au/childcare.  It’s easy to use and only takes a few minutes to fill out.


3a) What is CCB?

Child Care benefits (CCB) is a payment to assist with the cost of child care for families who use CCB approved and/or registered care. You can receive CCB if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have a child in care
  • Your child attends CCB approved or registered care and you are liable to pay the child care fees
  • Your child meets the immunisation requirements (or has an exemption)
  • You or your partner meet the residency requirements (or have an exemption)

3b) What is the CCR?

The Child Care Rebate (CCR) is an additional payment to help working families with the out of pocket expenses for the CCB approved child care.  Even if your CCB entitlement is zero due to your income, you may still be eligible for the CCR. You may get the CCR if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You are eligible for CCB (entitled at a rate of zero or more)
  • You and your partner meet the CCR work, training, study set.

3c) What is the difference between CCB Approved Child Care and Registered Child Care?

CCB Approved Child Care is provided by child care services that are approved by the Department of Education, Employment & Workplace relations. A Registered Child Care is care provided by grandparents, relatives, friends or nannies for work-related care and who are registered carers with the Family Assistance Office

3d) How do I receive my Child Care Rebate (CCR)

From July 2011, families will have a choice of four different options for payment of their CCR entitlement.

  1. Fortnightly paid to your bank account
  2. Fortnightly paid to your service to be passed on as fee reductions
  3. Quarterly payment to your bank account. The first quarter commences on the first Monday in July of each financial year. Each quarter is for a period of 13 weeks. Quarterly payments are paid in OctoberJanuary, and April, with the last quarter paid at reconciliation.Child Care Rebate quarterly periods and the payments timeline is available online (http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/centrelink/child-care-rebate/payment-methods). If you have not received your payment within a week of the end of the relevant payment period below, you may need to contact the Family Assistance Office on 136 150.
  4. Annual lump sum payment to their bank account after CCB/CCR reconciliation.

If you would like to change your method of payment, you will need to contact the Family Assistance Office directly. Families who want to receive their CCR as a fortnightly or quarterly payment must claim CCB as reduced fees, even if they are eligible for CCB but their entitlement is zero due to income.

3e) Is Melrose Park OSHC an approved centre?

Yes, Melrose Park OSHC is an Approved Child Care centre. This means that you may receive CCB or CCR payments if you are eligible and/or meet the above requirements.

3f) What are allowable absences?

An allowable absence is the number of absentee days without proof, that a child can have per financial year without CCB payments being suspended.This is a total figure across all forms of approved childcare per financial year.  For example: If your child is in Kindergarten at Melrose Park OSHC, they still may have a figure of  absences appearing on their statement from a long day care, etc, that they have attended in the same financial year.

3g)  What does a formal enrolment mean?

A formal enrolment means that your usage data at the centre is being sent through to Centre link .In order to claim CCB or CCR you must have a formal enrolment.  To formalise your enrolment you must  provide us with the following information for both the enrolling parent and child:

  • The correct CRN (customer reference number)  NB: The parent and child CRNs are always different numbers
  • The correct date of birth

For CCR to be paid, families must claim CCB and have a formal enrolment.

3h) What is an informal enrolment?

An informal enrolment means that you are not currently claiming CCB, although you may need to in the future. Attendance information is held by DEEWR (Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations) and only passed onto the FAO (Family Assistance Office) if the enrolment is upgraded to formal.