Child Care Payments

Having trouble understanding the Government Child Care Payments? Not sure if you are eligible for Child Care Benefits or the Child Care Rebate?

Please download the  Childcare Assistance Factsheet and the Child Care Information for Families Factsheet to learn more.

The Australian Government has two payments to assist families with the cost of child care – the Child Care Benefit (CCB) and the Child Care Rebate (CCR)

**PLEASE NOTE** – As of January 1st 2016 CCB/CCR payments will be dependant on a child’s immunisation status. Please download the  No Jab No Pay Factsheet for more information.

What is CCB?

Child Care benefits (CCB) is a payment to assist with the cost of child care for families who use CCB approved and/or registered care. You can receive CCB if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You have a child in care
  • Your child attends CCB approved or registered care and you are liable to pay the child care fees
  • Your child meets the immunisation requirements (or has an exemption)
  • You or your partner meet the residency requirements (or have an exemption)
You will need to apply for CCB from Centrelink and get a letter of assessment.

You can apply online:

For more information, you can contact the Family Assistance Office (FAO): 13 61 50


What is CCR?

The Child Care Rebate (CCR) is an additional payment to help working families with the out of pocket expenses for the CCB approved child care. You may also get the CCR if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • You are eligible for CCB (entitled at a rate of zero or more)
  • You and your partner meet the CCR work, training, study set.
To apply for CCR, you will need to be assessed for CCB – even if you are not eligible for CCB (i.e. you have 0%)
For more information, you can contact the Family Assistance Office (FAO): 13 61 50

How do I receive my Child Care Rebate (CCR)?

From July 2011, families will have a choice of four different options for payment of their CCR entitlement.

  1. Fortnightly paid to your bank account
  2. Fortnightly paid to your service to be passed on as fee reductions
  3. Quarterly payment to your bank account. The first quarter commences on the first Monday in July of each financial year. Each quarter is for a period of 13 weeks. Quarterly payments are paid in OctoberJanuary, and April, with the last quarter paid at reconciliation.Child Care Rebate quarterly periods and the payments timeline is available online ( If you have not received your payment within a week of the end of the relevant payment period below, you may need to contact the Family Assistance Office on 136 150.
  4. Annual lump sum payment to their bank account after CCB/CCR reconciliation.

If you would like to change your method of payment, you will need to contact the Family Assistance Office directly on 13 61 50. Families who want to receive their CCR as a fortnightly or quarterly payment must claim CCB as reduced fees, even if they are eligible for CCB but their entitlement is zero due to income.


What is a CRN?

A CRN is your Customer Reference Number with Centrelink and is a unique number that stays with you for life.

It consists of nine numbers and one letter in the following format: 200 000 000A.

You cannot have the same CRN as your child/ren.

If you do not have a CRN you will need to apply for one from Centrelink:

Family Assistance Office (FAO): 13 61 50


What does a formal enrolment mean?

A formal enrolment means that your usage data at the centre is being sent through to Centre link .In order to claim CCB or CCR you must have a formal enrolment.  To formalise your enrolment you must provide us with the following information:

  • The child’s CRN (customer reference number)  NB: The parent and child CRNs are always different numbers
  • The child’s date of birth.
  • The parent’s CRN.
  • The parent’s date of birth.
All four pieces of information must be correct and match the data at the FAO.
NB: A CRN is unique to each individual. Therefore a parent and child cannot have the same CRN.


For CCR to be paid, families must claim CCB and have a formal enrolment.


What is an Informal Enrolment?

An informal enrolment means that you are not currently claiming CCB, although you may need to in the future. Attendance information is held by DEEWR (Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations) and only passed onto the FAO (Family Assistance Office) if the enrolment is upgraded to formal.


What is the difference between Approved Child Care and Registered Child Care?

CCB Approved Child Care is provided by child care services that are approved by the Department of Education, Employment & Workplace relations.  A Registered Child Care is care provided by grandparents, relatives, friends or nannies for work-related care and who are registered carers with the Family Assistance Office.


Is Melrose Park OSHC an Approved Child Care Centre?

Yes, Melrose Park OSHC is an Approved Child Care centre. This means that you may receive CCB or CCR payments if you are eligible and/or meet the above requirements.


What are non-allowable absences?

An allowable absence is the number of absentee days without proof, that a child can have per financial year without CCB payments being suspended.This is a total figure across all forms of approved childcare per financial year.  For example: If your child is in Kindergarten at Melrose Park OSHC, they still may have a figure of  absences appearing on their statement from a long day care, etc, that they have attended in the same financial year.